Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Gardening = Workout?

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It's FINALLY nice out.  FINALLY.  I always feel so invigorated when I can open all the windows in my house and enjoy the breeze and fresh air. 
 
Even if the fresh air in my house occasionally smells like the papermill that I am 1/2 mile upwind from.  When it's humid, it smells like an old hobo's infected foot with sauerkraut on top.  When it's dry, it smells like straight up sauerkraut (which I actually don't mind).
 
But I digress.
 
Today, I didn't officially work out.  But I did do my gardening, and I'm counting that as a workout. 
 
I wandered around Home Depot looking for the right potting soil for a half hour.  I broke a sweat, but I think that's just because it was 85 degrees out and I had a hoodie on.  I didn't think my ratty ass gardening tank top with holes in it (one in the boob area) would be appropriate.  Instead of changing shirts, I added the heaviest damn sweatshirt I own.  WTF is wrong with me??
 
Anyway, then planted mesclun greens, spinach, swiss chard, watermelon, snow peas, snap peas, basil, chives, lavender, tarragon, oregano, mint, dill, and an unidentified herb that's too teeny to tell what it is right now.
 
I sat and enjoyed the hot sun on my shoulders.  I lugged 34 quart bags of potting soil up and down the stairs. I carried 10 pots onto the lawn, filled them with soil, planted my little veggie babies, then lugged full pots back up onto the balcony. I carried two gallon containers of water out to water them. I did all this for over an hour.  My legs are sore today...more sore than when I go jogging!  Heck yes, I count my gardening as a workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment