Friday, April 26, 2013

The search for running shoes

So.

I bought shoes on Wednesday. Nice, cushy, comfy, supportive, running shoes.  I love them.


Women's Cohesion 5
This is them, in all their sexy glory.
Saucony Cohesion 5, my third true love, after Jeffer and Taco.


They're grey with some yellow and blue, instead of grey with white and pink...but it doesn't really matter.

I went to FinishLine first.  It was less than awesome.  Nothing makes you feel more awkward like being a fat girl at FinishLine.
The teenager there tried to sell me a pair of $150 Nikes. When I tried them on and said "these aren't the shoes for me," he took the box, put it away, and promptly disappeared. I had come with the intention to buy some damn shoes, but apparently if the Nike Crapster shoe doesn't fit, this kid had no use for me.  Amazing.

So, Jeffer and I went to the mecca of shoes in Green Bay...Rogan's SuperDome. 

We walked in, and were greeted by a salesman named Jacob. I explained to him what I was looking for: running shoes for my first 5k, I need a wide toe box and a narrow heel, and I over pronate like a motha.
He said...
"What's that mean?"
Aww shit. A running shoe salesman who doesn't know anything about stride or gait or feet in general. In fact, he also sized my foot while sitting down. Apparently while sitting, I wear a size 8.5. I can't even fit my foot in an 8.5.  Yikes.

The first shoes he fit me in were, of course, the $150 pair of Sauconys. Holy balls, they were comfortable.

Saucony  Women's Cortana 2
It felt like Jesus was cuddling my feet.


But dang kid, $150?  Are you kidding? I wouldn't be at the home of the perpetual BOGO sale (tip: Rogan's is the shizz, and ALWAYS has a BOGO sale on) if cost was a non-issue.  After trying on several more pair of running shoes, I actually found that the $60 Cohesion 5's I bought kicked the crap out of these hella expensive shoes.
Take that, Nike.

And when all was said and done, Jacob was very helpful, despite my initial worries about his knowledge. He spent like 45 minutes with my husband and I, fitting us both in running shoes.  Yes, my husband bought running shoes also.

Men's Excursion TR6
Seal carcass not included.

He got trail running shoes, in case he has to fight off wolves in the Alaskan wilderness like Liam Neeson. Or make a wetsuit out of a seal carcass like Bear Grylls. Or maybe so he can run with Taco at the dog park lake.  Whatevs.


1 comment:

  1. Yokwe likatu! I ran my first marathon (in Cincinnati, a year ago this weekend) in that exact pair of pink/black shoes pictured above. You know me well enough to know that "marathon" and "Natalie" typically don't find themselves in the same sentence. So, if the Cohesion 5 could get me across the finish line at the Flying Pig Marathon, I'm confident they will take you to any place you want to be... whether that is the finish line of a 5k or in a line to buy tickets to a NKOTB concert. Both of those would be equally exciting adventures, in my book. Good luck and I look forward to cheering you along this journey!

    PS Remind me to tell you the first time I ran a mile in like 10 years. Hint #1: It was on Wotje. Hint #2: I almost barfed at the end.

    ReplyDelete